Jun 9th 2020
Why You Must Change Your CPAP Machine After 5 Years
Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) is considered to be one of the highly effective treatments for those diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea. With the proper equipment and its consistent use, it can greatly reduce the risk of sleep apnea.
You should know by now that your CPAP mask, mask cushions, tubing, and other supplies need to be replaced according to their different life spans, but what about your machine? When it comes to CPAP machines, these typically last 3 to 5 years.
How do I know if my CPAP machine is no longer working?
It is important to pay attention to the little things your device does during your sleep therapy. Here are some of the signs that you may need to buy a new CPAP machine:
- The machine produces more noise when in use.
- You find yourself snoring even with your mask on. This may indicate that your CPAP machine is no longer producing the proper airflow during sleep therapy.
- If the released air feels uncomfortably cool, it’s possible that the hot plate under your machine’s water chamber is not working properly.
- If you are using heated tubing and the water inside of it is condensing, check first if the tubes are connected or if the humidity settings are properly set. If they are and the machine is still not working, you may want to consider purchasing a new one.
What happens if I continue using a broken or old CPAP machine?
Continuing to use a broken or old CPAP machine can greatly affect the quality of your sleep therapy. Not only will this prevent you from reducing sleep apnea symptoms, but it can also have adverse effects.
- Increased fatigue during the day
- Your loud snoring never goes away
- High blood pressure
- Prolonged and more frequent daytime naps
- Weight gain
If the initial sleep apnea symptoms that have allowed for its evaluation have returned, it means that you either need to adjust the machine’s setting or repurchase a new one. Remember, CPAP machines do not last forever.
When the time comes, you need to replace your CPAP machine to ensure that you get the most out of your CPAP experience. It can be overwhelming to choose from a wide array of machines in today’s market. Fortunately, you can now browse through GoCPAP’s CPAP machines at such an affordable price!